Methodology of cooking for 1? Put it all in the microwave together. *note: this rarely works out well.
No A/C? Windows stuck? Jump on the windowsill and throw your weight into it. Try to move the window with your sticky, sweaty knees. *note: only do this if you don’t have back problems.
I really should have kept a list of all the nasty foods I’ve eaten together in the last 2 years. Once I made pancakes look like oatmeal, and I was so hungry I finished what I had and made more. Another time, I burned ramen (in my defense, the only reason it was burnt was because I actually used a stove. Usually, ramen goes in the microwave for 60 seconds). Last week, I dumped tomato juice on hamburger and linguine and called it a gourmet meal.
Today, I had a true success(ish), so I thought I’d share. I was so excited. It actually looked good, although in the name of honesty, it didn’t taste nearly as good as it looked.
Nevertheless, I still have learned several important lessons from my kitchen and housekeeping mishaps and successes, and am here to share them with you today. (Because I know you all should be taking housekeeping advice from a young, single college student trying to make it on her own in the city.)
1) Frozen peas are divine. They easily replace chips as a snack food.
2) Tacos can be prepared in at least a dozen edible ways. (see above photo for method 10)
3) A homemade strawberry smoothie will always make a bad meal go down okay.
4) You really should use laundry soap, but in the event that you have absolutely no more clean clothes, you can just put them all in the machine (important note: I’m not gross. I’ve only done this once, but was amazed at how well it worked out.)
5) Some people put towels under their door to keep out the light. An equally valid reason for stuffing a towel under your door is fear of cockroaches.
6) No matter how much you try, living on ramen is really not appropriate.
7) Cooking can actually be quite enjoyable if you are hungry and the alternative is ramen (again)
8 ) Radiators do not emit gas. They only have water in them, so do not call physical plant thinking you are reporting a fire. There is also no need to dream of a Jane Eyre like fire in your room.
** corollary to #8: If you just used a gas stove the hallway might smell like smoke. Do not be alarmed.
9) Feel free to ignore standard meal hours, because you are cooking for one and you can. Just eat healthy. Eat when you are hungry, even if that means you eat breakfast at noon, lunch at 4pm, and dinner at midnight.
10) There are certain food items that are okay after their expiration dates. Milk is never one of them.
I know I’m not the best homemaker (yet), but I laugh because getting frustrated isn’t effective. So why not smile at my mishaps?